. “The Music of the Shona in Zimbabwe.”
READ: Kaemmer, John E., 1998. “The Music of the Shona in Zimbabwe.” in The Garland Encyclopedia of World Music Vol 1: Africa, 744-758. (Southern Africa PDF, 1); Brown, Ernest D., 1994. “The Guitar and the mbira: Resilience, Assimilation, and Pan-Africanism in Zimbabwean Music.” World of Music Vol. 36 (2), 73-117. (PDF, 15)
- Who are the Shona?
- What is the bira? What role does music play at the bira?
- What is an mbira?
- What is a hosho?
LISTEN “Nhemamusasa” or “Temporary Shelter” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-WpMthq5tU
- What are the kushaura and kutsinhira? How are they related to one another?
- How are these two parts comparable to the “starter” and “divider” parts in Buganda akadinda music? How are they different?
- What general principles of African music does Shona music exhibit?
- What is chimurenga? When and why did it originate?
LISTEN “Pidigori” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3w_UiU0XeU/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIffrV3E2Ns
- What instruments supplant the mbira in “Pidigori”?
- What traditional Shona vocal technique does Mapfumo employ?