STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT Spring Term 2016
730N1 STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT Spring Term 2016
COURSEWORK ASSIGNMENT – INDIVIDUAL ESSAY
The Lego Group
The case is to be found on page 544 of Johnson, Whittington, Scholes, Angwin and Regner (2014) Exploring Strategy, 10th edn. Harlow, Pearson.
1. Explain how the development of strategy at the LEGO Group reflects the key characteristics of strategic management as a theoretical concept. [20 marks]
2. What alternative strategies were open to the LEGO Group in 2004, and why do you think the Group chose the course they did? [20 marks]
3. What features of the external environment have influenced strategy development at the LEGO Group? [20 marks]
4. Which of the resources and competencies of the LEGO Group have enabled them to regain their successful position in the global toy market, and which resources and competences have been less relevant to their recovery? [20 marks]
5. Looking at the LEGO Group today from the imaginary position of the CEO, how would you approach the process of strategy development to ensure the future success of the company? [20 marks]
The questions are weighted equally and the answers are to be written in essay style. Your responses should reflect your knowledge and understanding of the concepts, tools and techniques covered in the Strategic Management module. You should also demonstrate your skills and abilities to analyse data and information that you have obtained from a variety of up-to-date, high quality sources. Stronger answers will demonstrate an ability to exercise independent critical thinking. Full in-text citations and references, using the Harvard referencing style, are required.