1. Read Robert Frost’s “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”
2. Read William H. Pritchard’s two-paragraph analysis and appreciation of “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” on the Modern American Poetry website. Click on the link and scroll down until you see William Pritchard’s name. He discusses the poem through the approach of New Criticism, concentrating primarily on the poem itself–rhyme, rhythm, and sound–with just the barest mention of the poet and “‘larger’ issues.”
3. Write a similar two-paragraph analysis and appreciation (300-400 words) of one section of one of Frost’s other poems from a New Critical interpretive perspective. Review New Criticism in the materials found in Unit 2 if needed. Remember, you may not write about “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” for this assignment. Many of Frost’s poems can be found here.
5. Use line numbers instead of page numbers in your in-text citations.
6. Include an MLA Works Cited entry for the poem you choose.
“Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”