MHM599-Health Administration Capstone M1C
1. The Mіssion Viejo Medical Center (in the citу of Mission Viejo, California) comрrises two geographically adjacent institutions:
a. Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center: Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center https://www.mission4health.com/
b. Children’s Hospital at Mission (CHM): Children’s Hospital at Mission (CHM) https://www.mission4health.com/affiliations/choc-childrens-at-mission.html
2. The two hospitals serve — within less than a 10-mile radius — the populations of the following nine municipalities: Aliso Viejo, Ladera Ranch, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Woods, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarita, and San Juan Capistrano.
3. Retirement Communities:
a. The city of Laguna Woods (https://www.lagunawoodscity.org/), is home to “Leisure World” (https://www.lagunawoodsvillage.com/), a retirement community of over 23,000 senior (55 years and above) residents.
b. The city of Mission Viejo is home to “Casta Del Sol,” a retirement community of more than 3,000 senior (55 years and above) residents.
4. Following the example and success of integrating a special CHOC – children’s hospital within the Mission Viejo Hospital, it is suggested for the purpose of this assignment, that an additional new hospital wing be built, catering to the special needs of the senior population, to be named: “Golden Age Hospital (GAH)”.
1. The External Environment – Data Gathering
a. Search the Web and gather relevant general information regarding hospitals for seniors and direct data pertaining to the external environment of the proposed GAH
b. The proposed points below are just “starter points” for you to expound upon and add to as you see fit.
c. Common medical conditions of seniors:
i. Overall health status
ii. Unique illnesses
d. Medical institutions for seniors:
i. Types of institutions and clinics serving seniors (their size per population served)
ii. Types of special services provided for seniors and catering to their needs.
iii. Length-of-stay of seniors at various hospitals.
e. Local (Mission Viejo area) City demographics:
i. Can be obtained from but not limited to: https://www.city-data.com/
ii. Input the nine municipalities (one by one) in the search box.
iii. Scroll through the various data sets, and glean the relevant information: Population, Gender, Age, Household income, Race, Other.
iv. Consolidate all nine city data sets into one table, total where appropriate
2. Based on the data gathered and the general picture you have obtained, we will now focus on direct market research and segmentation of the senior community in the Mission Viejo area.
3. In order to do so, you will need to define/address the following points:
a. Who are your target market subjects?
b. Where are they located?
c. What special needs do they require?
d. What special medical/health services do they wish to get?
e. What type of physician specialization would they like to have?
f. Locations: Do they prefer a single medical center (MC) hospital location, or do they prefer a medical center (MC) hospital and a community clinic (CC)?
4. Survey Questionnaire:
a. Complete the following proposed survey table – column A, that you plan to use in order to obtain the preferences and perceptions of the seniors of your target segment, assume n=500. (Fill out the attached table for the GAH Project )
b. The instructor of this course will comment on your table and fill out column B (the average response score of the 500 subjects) in his feedback to you, on the basis of which you will be able to further develop your project plan.