Leadership as Service
My 5 CORE VALUES
List your 5 CORE VALUES here and explain what they mean to you;
If you do not know what your 5 CORE VALUES are, discover your core values by working through this assignment. By the end, you should have 5 core values that reflect what is most important to you. Take time to think, reflect and write in each section.
Step 1: Identify the times when you were happiest in your life.
• What were you doing?
• Were you with other people? Who were they?
• What other factors contributed to your happiness?
• Why were you proud?
• Did other people share your pride? Who?
• What other factors contributed to your feelings of pride?
Step 2: Identify the times when you were most proud of what you had done.
Step 3: Identify the times when you were most fulfilled and satisfied from doing something.
• What need or desire was fulfilled?
• How and why did the experience give your life meaning?
• What other factors contributed to your feelings of fulfillment?
Step 4: Write down why is each experience truly important and memorable?
Step 5: As you think about these experiences, use the list of common personal values in the attached list below to help you get started – and aim for 5 top values.
As you work through these next steps you may find that some of these naturally combine. For instance, if you value philanthropy, community, and generosity, you might say that service to others is one of your top values.
Using the List attached follow these instructions;
- Based on your answers to the questions above, underline 20 values on the list provided in the attached file you feel are important you. Look for themes or common ideas that keep surfacing in these values and explain in your own words what this value means to you.
- Put an X beside 10 of the ones you underlined that have greater meaning or combine some to make up 10.
- Now circle 5 of the remaining values you X’d or combined that mean the most to you. These are your 5 main values.
- Enter these 5 CORE VALUES at the top of this assignment with an explanation of why each one is important to you.
My VISION STATEMENT
What is the VISION you have for your life? (write it in the space below)
If you do not have a VISION already written, follow the prompts below to write your vision.
- Pause and reflect on your 5 CORE VALUES and listen to what they are telling you about who you would like to be. If you do not have 5 CORE VALUES go to the assignment and complete it first.
Write out your 5 Core Values here;
- Think about what you would like to achieve in the next 5 – 10 years or in your lifetime. Even though this statement expresses what you are working towards right now it is not written in stone and can be changed or redefined as time goes by.
- What difference would you like to make in your family, your work, your country or the world? Your Vision Statement should encompass one or more of these.You can begin with one of these sentences:
i. My vision will be……
ii. I believe…..
iii. I will…….
Write out a sentence or two about what you are dreaming about right now. You could possibly never attain your VISION but you are inspired to try to reach this dream. Write about what you would like to achieve personally in your life.
Edit out of the about thoughts anything that has to do with how or when. (Goals, Objectives, Steps, ect.) Your Mission Statement and your Goals will give you those directions.
Write out a concise Vision of what you would like to achieve in your life.
If you are happy with this version, write it in the space at the beginning of this worksheet.
Now you are ready to write your Mission Statement.
To help you understand what a VISION STATEMENT might look like here are some examples;
1) My VISION will be to touch the lives of as many people as possible — millions and millions — empowering them to achieve personal and career happiness and success.
2) I believe I should always; Love God, Love Others and Love the world I am placed into.
3) I will see that the world’s children and those suffering always have the care and emotional protection they require to get through tough times.
4) It is my VISION to live a life of honesty, integrity and unconditional love; to never lose sight of what is most important and to make the world a more beautiful place.
My MISSION STATEMENT
My MISSION STATEMENT says how I plan to Achieve My VISION.
Step 1) Write out your Vision Statement;
My Vision Statement is:
Step 2) If you already know your Mission Statement write it below.
My Mission Statement* is:
- If you do not know what your Mission Statement is, use the following Steps and questions to help you discover your MISSION.
Step 3) Pause and reflect on your 5 CORE VALUES and listen to what they are telling you about who you would like to be. If you do not have 5 CORE VALUES go to the assignment and complete it first.
Write out your 5 Core Values here;
Step 4) Understand your Mission Statement to be the plan or steps you are prepared to take to achieve your Vision Statement. (There is a picture of how all these components fit together at the end of this Worksheet)
- How will you achieve your VISION?
a. What are some ways you see yourself working towards fulfilling your VISION? Write down all the many ways you see ahead of you in your life that will enable you to not only achieve your VISION but also keep in mind your 5 CORE VALUES. Use the words, verbs, and adjectives in your values to express how you see yourself moving forward to your VISION.
- From this list choose the one(s) you feel are best suited for you at this time and write out how you are going use this method, plan, job, or activity to move you closer to fulfilling your VISION.
a. Write them out here;
- Write out a statement here that resonates with how you see yourself achieving your VISION.
- If you are happy with what you have as your MISSION statement then write it out in the space at the top of this worksheet.
Here are some examples of MISSION statements.
1) MY VISION will be to touch the lives of as many people as possible — millions and millions — empowering them to achieve personal and career happiness and success.
MY MISSION will be to learn to become a writer of articles, blogs, and books which will focus on how to help people achieve personal and career happiness and success.
2) MY VISION; I believe I should always; Love God, Love People and Love the world I am placed into.
MY MISSION is to study God’s word the BIBLE and learn how to live out God’s ways.
3) MY VISION; I will see that the world’s children and those suffering always have the care and emotional protection they require to get through tough times.
MY MISSION is to become successful in business so I can support, encourage and work alongside agencies that are meeting the needs of people.
4) It is my VISION to live a life of honesty, integrity and unconditional love. To never lose sight of what is most important and to make the world a more beautiful place.
MY MISSION is to use my talents as an artist to paint, sculpture and create inspiring works of art while living in a loving, honest and transparent way.