Leadership and management
1.Discuss the differences between a leader and a manager.
- Which is more important, working for an effective leader or an effective manager? Explain your answer.
- Observe the nurse manager in a unit to which students have been assigned. What management style is displayed? How does the staff respond to this style
- What qualities do you think are most important to be a good nurse manager?
- Interview the nurse manager on your assignment unit. What interpersonal, decisional, and informational activities does he or she complete on a daily basis?
- You are the nurse manager on your unit. One of the most experienced staffers has been out on sick leave, and another just had a baby. The rest of the staff are working very hard to pick up the slack to avoid using agency personnel. What tangible and intangible rewards might you use to thank the staff?