How does Hobbes describe human nature?
- What were the Aztecs views of the Spaniards in document 12.1?
- What were Cortes’s reactions to Tenochtitlan and the Aztecs in document 12.2?
- What was Nzinga Mbemba complaining to the Portuguese about in document 12.3?
- How did the Europeans threaten the Chinese in document 12.4?
Document Discussion Forum #2 MUST give two-to-three sentence to each question
- What were Olaudah Equiano reactions to the “middle passage” after he was enslaved in 1789?
- What goods did Thomas Phillips trade to purchase slaves from Africa, and why might they be in demand?
- Why did Richard Ligon think that the slaves of Barbados could not successfully rebel against their European
- What did Francis Alexander Stanislaus have to say about racism in St. Domingue in 1797?
- How does Hobbes describe human nature?
- What is the Leviathan or Commonwealth?
- Why is fear so important to understanding absolutism?
- What is natural law and what role does it play in society?
Document Discussion Forum #4 MUST give two-to-three sentence to each question
- What were your impressions about the Islamic maps?
- What might the Chinese maps say about their world view?
- How did the Western maps compare with the Islamic and Chinese ones?
Book Discussion Forum #1 (Each student is expected to give paragraph-length answers to guiding questions)
- How did Mary Jemison’s capture by Native Americans impact her life?
- What was the “moral” of her story?
- Did this book have a political agenda?
- What was life like in Mrs. Jemison’s frontier?
- What did Mrs. Jemison say about the native Americans?
Document Discussion Forum #6 MUST give two-to-three sentence to each question
- Why would restricting a colony’s trade to that of the mother country be counterproductive, according to
- What does 1776, the year Smith published these words in his Wealth of Nations, tell you about who he was
Document Discussion Forum #7 MUST give two-to-three sentence to each question
- When did Marx write and what does this tell you about the Communist Manifesto, the book which this
passage is taken from?
- Who are the bourgeoisie and what have they done to the previous economic order?
- How do they affect the non-Western world?
- But why does Marx see the bourgeoisie as doomed?
Book Discussion Forum #2 (Each student is expected to give paragraph-length answers to guiding questions)
- What was Okonkwo’s relationship to his family and tribe?
- How sensitive was he to his tribe’s traditional religious beliefs?
- Why were the Christian missionaries so successful in converting the population to Christianity?
- What exactly explains the title of the book?
- Why did Okonkwo ultimately commit suicide?