film and television
film and television
answer CW2 only. 4,
You will produce a 2,000-word reflective essay that engages in detail with an aspect of the module. You are encouraged to choose your own topic and title, in
conjunction with one of the tutors on the module. Talk to us about what you would like to explore further and we’ll help you narrow down your topic. You might like,
for example, to write an analytical study of the work of a documentary filmmaker (e.g. Robert Flaherty, Humphrey Jennings, Michael Moore…) and assess the way(s) in
which they engage with, or imagine, reality.
However, if you cannot think of a topic, perhaps one of the following ones might be of interest to you:
1. To what extent do you agree with the argument that documentary has become the most important genre in film and television? Discuss your answer with reference
to contemporary examples from film and television.
2. To what extent do you agree that documentary can offer an objective truth? Discuss your answer with reference to relevant examples of the form.
3. What role might the personal play for the political projects that documentaries often encompass? Discuss your answer by focusing on at east ONE example of
4. Cheap programming or an important window into reality? Account for the success of the contemporary docudrama on television.
5. How can we access the real? And what role might emotions play in accessing the real? Discuss your answer by providing a comparison between ONE documentary and
6. ‘The creative treatment of actuality’?: Provide a detailed analysis of ONE television drama of your choice from Britain OR America, examining its specific
historical context and the way it ‘creates’ reality.
7. How experimental do you think documentary should be? Does a more avant-garde approach to imagining reality run the risk of weakening its effects?
8. To what extent do you think that film and television imagine reality differently? Discuss with reference to at least ONE example from each medium.
9. To what extent does fiction offer a more effective way of rendering truth and authenticity than a more factual approach? Offer some examples to support your
10. Why do you think documentary can have such power over audiences? Support your answer with relevant examples of the form.
11. To what extent do you believe it is acceptable to manipulate documentary material in order to access a deeper truth? Support your answer with relevant examples
of the form.
12. To what extent do you believe that documentary now represents a new, more influential counterpoint, to traditional journalism? Support your answer with
relevant examples of the form.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂