Fighting Terrorism, The Effectiveness of Leadership Decapitation
Topic: Fighting Terrorism, The Effectiveness of Leadership Decapitation
Mini-Lit Review (3 articles)… 9 pages, 12 point font, one-inch margins.
Give your review essay a title. Next, put full bibliographic citations of each item you are reviewing directly below the title (and do this single spaced). For any direct quotes or references to key arguments in the items under review, add the page number(s) in parentheses in your review text (and put the parenthetical references inside the punctuation, not after the period). If you cite any other sources, follow a standard style (Chicago, APA, etc.) using footnotes or endnotes. Your essay should summarize and critically evaluate the items as a set. Do this in whatever order makes sense, but aim to address the following questions:
• What is the central focus or question these items seek to address?
• Are they really all addressing the same question, or do they differ in important ways?
• How do they summarize the state of prior existing knowledge, and what do they claim to add that is new? To the extent you are familiar with the field, do they characterize it accurately?
• Do they draw on or seek to promote a particular theory or theories? How persuasive are their logical arguments?
• What methodology do they employ, and what do they use as their evidence (i.e., particular cases? a data set?) How well do they execute their methodology, and how persuasive is their evidence?
• Do the articles consider the counterarguments or counterexamples you regard as most salient?
• Is one of the items you review more persuasive than the other(s)?
• Where does this set of readings leave us overall? How, if at all, has it advanced our knowledge? What would be the most important next steps for future research?
• If relevant, try to tease out policy implications from the readings, or if the readings make policy recommendations then briefly critique whether those recommendations make sense.