field research paper
field research paper
It is a field research paper. It has to include deep house and electo music types and their characteristics as the main sound of the warehouse party event.
Ethnographic Research Paper
LCS 280 FE – Introduction to World Music
For your research paper you will need to conduct fieldwork and write an ethnographic description and analysis on a subject and topic of your choice dealing with a live
musical soundscape that you attend. A musical subject that involves live music where you are not the performer should be chosen for this paper. The majority of the
research for this paper must be based on original fieldwork done between Weds, Oct. 1 and Weds, Dec. 3, however the paper must also include library or other reference
resources that support your research topic. Your fieldnotes as well as documentation of your attendance should be attached to your final paper.
Proposal (10 points)
Due Weds, Sept. 24
Provide a 1 page (double-spaced) description of your proposed subject, topic and field site for your final paper. Your textbook reading in Chapter 11 (pp. 355-364) may
also provide helpful ideas for your research paper.
Writing the Proposal – Discuss the following in paragraph form:
• Subject – a music culture, a musical scene, a musician or a group of musicians (for example, gospel choirs or Cape Verdean music are subjects) Why is this
subject interesting to you?
• Preliminary Topic – your subject viewed from a particular perspective (for example, the role of the soloist in a gospel choir or how music provides a means for
expressing Cape Verdean identity) This topic may change after you do your fieldwork.
• Fieldsite – Where and when will you do your fieldwork? (for example, the Providence AME Church on Sunday, Oct. 14 or the Cape Verdean Independence Day
Festival in Providence on July 10–this particular date would not meet the criteria for this semester’s paper, it’s just being used an example) Do you already have
contacts within the fieldwork site or will you need to make some preliminary introductions? How will you gain permission to conduct research and what other ethical
issues may surface?
• Documentation – Along with your fieldnotes, what documentation will you provide of your attendance? Tickets stubs, program, church bulletin, photographs, etc.
• Questions or concerns you may have
Annotated References (10 points)
Due Weds, Nov. 5
You must include your subject and topic at the top of your references.
Provide at least four preliminary annotated references for your paper. These annotations should list the full citation information as well as a few sentences about why
this source is useful for your paper. Of those four references, one should be from the Credo Reference database, one journal or peer-reviewed book, one from a
periodical, and the fourth from a credible website. You may substitute a music recording, video, film for any one of the references. Please label your references with
the source category. Do not include interviews as part of these references. These references will provide some background information on your subject and topic. You
may add to these references or decide not to use one as you write your paper. Also include any questions or concerns you may have about your paper.
Paper (100 points)
Due Weds, Dec. 10
(attach your fieldnotes at the end of your paper as well as any documentation of your attendance that you may have)
Conducting the Fieldwork and Analyzing the Data
Be sure to gain some knowledge of your topic through articles, books, or other publications. As you read through some current research and conduct your fieldwork, you
can refine your topic and begin working on a thesis statement. During your fieldwork at the musical event you should take notes on what you are observing. Write down
observations that describe the various components of the music-culture. Document the event context including the time, location or setting, and environment. You may
choose to draw yourself a sketch of the event or layout of the room, or include your thoughts on the event in your notes. When the event is completed, you can fill in
your notes with more details and begin to think about themes or patterns in your observations that provide insight into your thesis statement.
Writing the Paper
In the opening paragraph, you will need to present your topic and your main point. Provide a thesis statement that orients the reader to your argument. Be sure that
somewhere in the introduction you note the date and place of the event. In the body of the paper, provide some background information and contextualize your subject
and topic through your fieldwork observations. Decide the most important aspects of your fieldwork experience that will help paint a picture of the music-culture you
are studying and support your thesis. Include previous research on the topic to further support your argument. Provide a conclusion that connects your thesis statement
and your topic examples.
• This is a six to eight-page paper with a specific focus. For example, a paper about Latino music in Rhode Island would be too broad, but one that focuses on
how salsa night at a particular club creates a space for both novices and those more skilled to dance would be more specific.
• Proofread your paper for clarity, as well as spelling and grammatical errors.
• Avoid slang (unless used in a quote).
• Do not plagiarize. If you use a quote or paraphrase an idea from another source, provide citation information.
• At the end of your paper, you need to have a reference section that lists any books, articles, websites, etc. that you used to write your essay. Be sure to use
an accepted citation form such as MLA or Chicago Manuel of Style. Please note that Wikipedia is not a credible source.
• The paper should be double -spaced using 12 point Times New Roman or comparable font, 1″ margins on all four sides, and no spaces between paragraphs. Your
name, course and section number should be single-spaced.
• Please submit your paper to turnitin.com via Blackboard.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂