Essay: Power, Influence & the Social Construction of Leadership & Followership
Drawing on theories of social bases of power present an analysis of how an individual may construct themselves a leader and a follower within organisations. Within your answer consider how an individual’s choice to adopt bases of power should be determined by the following contextual factors:
– The power of the agent
– The characteristics/propensities of the target
– Length (or desired length) of the leader-follower relationship
– Perceptions of third parties
– Targets future perceptions of the agent
– Targets/agents position within a given organisational hierarchy
– Pre-existing leadership relationships
1. Discuss, compare and contrast different conceptions of leadership and leadership approaches in different organisational and operational contexts. This is to include an appreciation of followership as a role.
2. Evaluate the effectiveness of leadership approaches for leading organisations, motivating people and enabling change.
3. Understand the role of power and influence in the leader-follower relationship
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the role of leaders and followers.
5. To understand the importance of self-awareness in the development of leadership
6. To analyse the ways in which leadership may be developed at any level of an organisation.
9. To describe and evaluate the structure of leadership relationships within organisations
Word Count: 3000 words
Submission: Via TurnItIn
• Assignments will be marked electronically and this sheet is for reference only
The essay is well structured with appropriate section headings. There is a logical flow and clear narrative to the work. The work is properly focused on the question
The essay draws on a wide range of appropriate academic sources. Where appropriate, there is a high level of critical evaluation.
Academic sources are used appropriately to substantiate the points made.
The piece presents strong arguments, which are supported by clear reasoning and/or empirical evidence.
The APA 6 guidelines are followed such that the work is correctly cited and referenced
The work features very clear, and very well supported conclusions