Business Data Analysis
Business Data Analysis
– Task description –
Semester 1, 2015-16
Intended Learning Outcomes
• Critically analyse financial terminology and techniques, a set of company accounts and management accounting information
• Audit published financial information, and generate relevant strategy recommendations as well as prepare budgets and reports
• Hypothesize issues, problems and offer solutions through the use of statistical concepts within a business context
• Critically appraise the limitations of accounting and statistical figures for business decision-making
Assumption and Purpose
You are asked to make a 3,000 word long analysis of a chosen company from the STOXX All Europe 100 . It is required from you to include in your paper analysis based on statistical information. Evaluate your company’s financial performance and comment on the pricing and costing strategy as well. The purpose is to have a comprehensive picture about the company you have chosen.
You should critically analyze financial terminology and techniques, a set of company accounts and management accounting information. You should audit published financial information and generate relevant recommendations as well. State problems that the chosen company is facing, and provide solutions through the use of statistical concepts within a business context. Finally, critically appraise the limitations of accounting and statistical figures for business decision-making.
You are to determine your business analysis content and structure. An indicative but not exhaustive outline could include the following:
I. Introductory Page
a. Describe the company (SWOT analysis is recommended)
b. List the tools you will use.
II. Industry Analysis
a. Introduction of the industry (Porter’s Five Forces and PESTEL is recommended)
b. Market specifications
c. Industry forecast
III. Analyzing the financial statement
a. Present the main changes in the Balance Sheet
b. Present the main changes in the Profit and Loss account
c. Present the main changes in the Cash Flow
d. Ratio analysis for the past 5 years of minimum five ratios selected
a. Suggest different pricing strategies
a. Critically appraise the limitations of accounting and statistical figures for business decision-making
External data and information researched and used, must be accredited and referenced accordingly in the format acceptable to IBS (Harvard style-referencing) in all the Word and Excel documentation submitted for assessment.
The deadline of the assignment is on the 27th of November 2015 till 16:00 on Moodle.
Your mark will be built up as follows:
• Approach to task (14%)
• Use of literature (18%)
• Analysis and evaluation (20%)
• Structure and organisation (14%)
• Conclusions and recommendations (14%)
• Communication and presentation (10%)
• Overall impression (10%)