A business plan for a quality improvement project
Develop a business plan for a quality improvement project, program, or service related to an area of student interest. The project is Leadership Rounding to prevent Hospital-acquired infection
Preparing the paper
A business plan is a detailed plan for a proposed program, project, or service.
The following sections should be clearly present with headings and complete. Use the headings provided in the outline below. Remember, there is no heading used for the introduction section.
a. Purpose of assignment b. PICOT
c. Purpose of business plan
d. What will be included
II. Proposal a. Cover letter b. Executive Summary
III. Detailed Abstract a. Two types of analyses
b. Marketing and financial plans
IV. Appendices a. Financial tables b. Graphs/charts
V. Conclusion a. What was covered in the plan
b. Strengths and weaknesses of the plan
c. Approach for approval
- Clearly introduce your business-plan assignment in the Overview section. This should be no longer that one paragraph. Include the purpose of your assignment, PICOT as the basis for and purpose business plan; and what will be covered in the assignment.
- Include a clearly articulated cover letter written in business letter format, active voice and exactly as it would be read by leadership. Include an overview of the issue, proposed solution, and action request. There should be no other content on this page except for the business letter.
- Present a captivating executive summary that is interesting and captures the interest of leadership and draws them in to read further. Content includes (1) a description of the proposed project, program, or service, (2) why it is being proposed, and (3) what outcomes are most likely to occur as a result.
- Detailed Abstract expands the three areas of the executive summary.
a. Expand description of project purpose b. Issue/problem defined; supportive evidence for project c. Expected outcomes and project timeline d. Marketing/needs analyses and plans at least two strategies e. Fit with the mission of organization f. Fit with current services g. Financial plan including budgetary needs h. The financial impact on stakeholders (organization, patients, unit of service, community)
i. Break-even analysis and cost/benefit analysis results with reference to actual budget and analysis in appendices
- Appendices should include any financial tables, charts, or graphs, or other supporting documents referred to in the detailed abstract. The business plan worksheet should be included in the appendices.
- The conclusion for the paper includes an overview of what was covered in the paper, strengths, and weaknesses of the plan, and plan for seeking proposal approval.