For this assignment, you are to research three federal laws that are important to education. These laws are a)
Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act, b) Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act,
and c) Every Student Succeeds Act. Based on your analysis, you are to compare and contrast these three laws
as they relate to educating children. Within your analysis, you will need to address the following questions:
- What is the general purpose of each law?
- Which are specific to education and which are more broad-reaching?
- Who does each law target?
- What are some specific ways in which each law affects how we educate children with disabilities? Be
specific with regard to the major tenets (or aspects) of each law.
- What are the origins of each and why was each enacted? That is, when was each originally enacted and
what was the original title of each?
- Given that education is a state-regulated activity, why would a state voluntarily comply with the federal
education laws? Be specific for each law. For example, if a particular law provides money, explain how.